JUNG-GU, DAEGU METROPOLITAN CITY

History Exploration

The Origin of Regions’ Name

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Gyesan-dong
Being called ‘Geysan’ or ‘Gyesan-ri’, this area, originally, belonged to the area of Seosang-myeon Daegu-si and was named as 1 Jeongmok of Myeongchijeong (明治町) in 1914 and then, was renamed as ‘Gyesan-dong’ in 1946.
Gongpyeong-dong
The name reflected people’s wish that the local court of Daegu, which had been in this area, would treat everyone impartially. It was within Dongsang-myeon of Daegu-bu and became Namyongganjeong (南龍岡町) after consolidating some parts of Namseong-ri and Sinjeon-ri according to the reconstitution of the administrative districts system in 1914. It was in 1946 that this area began to be called Gongpyeong-dong.
Gyodong
It was unknown where the Hyanggyo was initially founded. It is assumed, however, that the Hyanggyo was reconstructed at Bu-dong in the 7th year of King Jeongjong after the Hyanggyo, which had been built in Goseong outside the east gate of the fortress in the 7th year of the reign of the Chosun Dynasty’s first king, was burnt down.

This area was called Hyanggyogol or Hyanggyodong because there had been the Hyanggyo in the area. When the area was absorbed to Dongsang-myeon of Daegubu due to the reconstitution of the administrative districts system in 1914, along with the areas around Yongdeok-ri, it was renamed as Dongbonjeong (東本町)and then, was renamed to its current name in consideration of its former name Hyanggyogol as of April 1, 1947.

In 1599, the provincial governor, Han Jungyoem along with two other government officials, Kim Gujeong and Im Sangeui reconstructed the Hyanggyo which was destroyed during Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592, in the current Dalseong Park (達成公園) site. Another governor, Ryu Yeongsun relocated it to the Gyodong site in 1605 because he believed the former site, which had been on the outskirts of Daegu which swarmed with bugs and snakes, was not pure enough to worship sages. It was 1933 that the Hyanggyo was moved to the current location (#735 Namsan-dong, 197 Myeongryun-ro, Jung-gu).

Dongsang-myeong Daegubu was merged with some parts of Yongdeok-ri and called Dongbonjeong (東本町) according to the reconstitution of the administrative districts system in 1911, and then changed to Gyodong (校洞) according to Japanese naming practice in 1947.
  • History Exploration
    • History of Jung-gu Adminstration
    • Historic Figures in Jung-gu
    • The Origin of Regions’ Name
  • Cultural Event
  • Festival
    • Daegu Yangnyeongsi Festival
    • Donseongno Festival
    • Bongsan Art Festival
    • Overseas Chinese Festival
    • Seomun Market Festival
    • Fashion Jewelry Festival
    • Bongsan Porcelain Fair