JUNG-GU, DAEGU METROPOLITAN CITY

History Exploration

The Origin of Regions’ Name

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Namsan-dong
This area, which belonged to Seosang-myeong (西上面) Daegu-bu, was named Namsan because it was in the outskirts of Namsan mountain and became Namsanjeong (南山町) in 1914. In 1946, it was called Namsan-dong.
Before the liberation from Japanese occupation, most of the rice fields and farms in this area were the property of Dalseong Seo families. There was a public cremation ground with a public cemetery to the right side of the current Dong office.

Upon the country’s liberation, there was a temple called Weonggaksa to the east of Namsan 4 Dong office. Around the temple, there were six locations for manufacturing earthen vessels and roof-tiles, which played an important role in architectural development of the wooden roof-tile houses in the town. It is said that home industries producing brassware prevailed here as well.

250 refugee families stayed here during the Korean War in very dire conditions. They had to cover the roofs with tent canvas and build the walls with wood. Living under government’s aid, they had to use the straw bags, 500 of which were provided by the city government, to make them warm. They also had to be accommodated, in groups, in the classrooms of former Yeongnam Middle & High School (present Boseong Whangsil Town) because their homes ware destroyed by fire.
Namseong-dong
Namseong-dong (南城洞) along with Daegu’s well-known Yangryeongsi, belonged to Daegu-bu under an administrative district system from around 1650 until the country’s liberation in 1945.
Surrounded by the principal roads of Daegu-si such as Seosihro, Seoseongro, Daeseoro, Daseongro, etc. Namseong-dong has contributed a lot to the economic development of the entire Daegu-si. Along the sides of these roads, there are unbroken lines of business places such as oriental medical clinics, oriental medicinal shops, restaurants, linen shops etc, which have formed a commercial area connecting Yeommae market and Donga Shopping Center. This area has a historic significance as well.

Around 1915, the leaders of the armies for national independence including National Rights Recovery Movement operated, in secret, their independence campaigns based upon Namseong-dong centering on Yangryeongsi. According to people’s recollections, these activities largely contributed to the March 1st Independence Movement in 1919.

This historic side street known as Yangryeongsi is the alley of Daegu. Not to mention Yeommae market, there was Yeongnam Jeilgwan (嶺南第一關) at the crossroads of Daenam Oriental Medicinal Herb Clinic as well as Jeil Church and Hido Elementary School in this alley. In addition to this, a narrow path between Namseongro and the Mail Newspaper was famous for its historic use as a path to Seoul and Pyeongyang, on which many young people went with dreams of being successful. To this day, the traces of this road’s extension remain. To the east it passes along the Ilsin Hakweon and reaches to area around the Textile Hall to the west.
Namil-dong
It belonged to Dongsang-myeon Daegubu and was named Namseonan or Namseongnae because it was inside the southern area of Daegubuseon fortress. Then, consolidating some parts of Jeon-dong, Sail-dong and Sai-dong, it was called Namjeong in 1914. In 1946, Namil-dong became the name of the area.
  • History Exploration
    • History of Jung-gu Adminstration
    • Historic Figures in Jung-gu
    • The Origin of Regions’ Name
  • Cultural Event
  • Festival
    • Daegu Yangnyeongsi Festival
    • Donseongno Festival
    • Bongsan Art Festival
    • Overseas Chinese Festival
    • Seomun Market Festival
    • Fashion Jewelry Festival
    • Bongsan Porcelain Fair