JUNG-GU, DAEGU METROPOLITAN CITY

History Exploration

The Origin of Regions Name

Dalseong-dong
It was a part of Seosang-myeon Daegubu and called Dalseong-ri because the Dalseong fortress was in the area. It became Dalseongjeong (ӹ) in 1914 and then, Dong () was begun to be used instead of Jeong from 1946.
Daebong-dong
Due to the change of the administrative districts system in 1918, Bongdeok-dong and Daemyeong-dong of Suseongmyeon in Dalseong-gun were consolidated to Daegubu and then, a new community was made by combining some parts of each dong and called Daebongjeong (), which came from the first syllables of Daemyeong and Bongdeok. Later, Jeong ()was changed to Dong (). In 1951, it was divided into Daebong 1, 2 and 3 dongs of Namgu, Daegu-si and then, it was divided again to Daebong 1 and 2 dong of Jung-gun, Daegu-si, upon consolidation of some areas of Namu-gu to Jung-gu in April of 1980. When Daegu was upgraded to Jikhal-si, which was controlled directly by the central government, it became Daebong 1 and 2 dong of Jung-gu.
Daesin-dong
There was a huge market which was held every 5 days on the 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd and 27th of every month in Daesin-dong (). It was known as one of the three biggest markets during the Chosun Dynasty along with the fairs held in Pyeongyang and Gangyeong.
Since the market place was moved to a location near the Cheonwangdang lake outside the west gate, the market started to be called Seomun market: Seo means west in its Chinese character. In those days, it was a place where women living in nearby areas as well as others staying inside the fortress frequently visited to have fun. The lake was created by natural waters coming down from the hills around it. It used to include the road in front of Dongsan Hospital, Daesin rotary, the road in front of Daesin Police Station and the sites of dried goods shops sitting along the walls of the former Gyesung Middle and High School was surrounded by oak trees. The lake was filled up and the market was moved to this location in 1920.

The newly opened highway could be partially responsible for the loss of the popularity of Seomun market which had enjoyed the glory of being a well-known market for a long time even after the countrys liberation. There are, however, many merchants and residents who believe it was because the ghost of a woman who drowned herself in the lake due to being left by a loved one had caused the market to catch on fire frequently. Even so, to this day Seomun market plays a central role as a wholesaling market place for the economy of the entire Daegu region.

Around the lake, a new town was established and named Daesin-dong, which was the combination of Dae and Sin. In Chinese letter Dae () means big or huge. Presumably, the name was from the huge size of the market, while the other letter Sin (, new) was chosen because the town was newly established. The village was in Dongsang-myeon Daegubu area. It was consolidated with some parts of Jeon-dong and Hu-dong and named Sinjeong () in 1914. This became Daesin-dong again in 1946.
Daean-dong
This area belonged to Dongsang-myeon Daegu-bu and was called Daehwajeong after absorbing some portions of Hu-dong and Boknae-dong in 1914. It was changed to Daean-dong in 1946.
Deoksan-dong
This area belonged to Boksang-myeon Daegu-bu and named Deoksanjong after Gwadeokjeong (ߣ) in Amisan after adding some parts of Namseongri and Seosang-myeon to the area in 1914. In 1946, Jeong () was replaced with Dong () in the communitys name and, at the same time, some portions of it were transferred to Samdeok-dong.
Doweon-dong
This was in Seogsang-myeon Daegu-bu. In 1914, some parts of Dalseong-dong were separated from and named Paljungweonjeong (). It became Doweon-dong in 1946 because many prostitutes were living in the area.
Dongmun-dong
In 1736, during the Chosun Dynasty, the east gate was located at the outer wall of Daegueupseong fortress and was called Jindongmun; it was near the former Jungang branch of the Industrial Bank of Korea. The area of 500 square meters from the east gate (Jindongmun) was called Dongmun-dong. It was in Dongsang-myeon Daegubu and called Dongmunjeong (ڦ) after consolidating some portions of Yongdeok-ri due to the reconstruction of administrative district system in 1914, but Jeong () was replaced with Ro () in 1946.

The east gate is Jindongmun gate, the west gate is Daleseomun gate, the north gate is Gongbukmun gate and the south gate is Yeongnam Jeilgwan.
Dongsan-dong
It was called Dongsandong named after the Dongsan hill which was in between Gyesan-dong Catholic Church and Gyesung School and was connected to Seomun market. It was also called Sijangjeong due to the existence of a market in 1914 (Sijang refers to a market in Korean) until it was eventually changed to Dongsang-dong in 1946.
Dongseong-dong
This name originated from a road made by Min Eungsu (), who was the governor of Daegubu, in 1736 (in the 12th year of King Yeongjos reign). He opened this road by breaking down the east side wall of the fortress and called it Donseongro. It belonged to Dongsang-myeon and was named Dongsangjeong () in 1914 and used the name until it was changed to Dongseongro in 1946.
Dongin-dong
Japanese imperialism consolidated some parts of Yongdeokri, Sindong and Namseongri of Dongsan-myeon in Daegu-bu into Dongunjeong () in 1911, which was again changed to Dongin-dong in 1946. It was reorganized into Dongin 1 dong and 2 dong Jung-gu due to the installation of Gu district system (ϡ) in 1963.
Dongil-dong
It was in Dongsang-myeon in Dagu-bu. In 1914, some portions of Jeon-dong were added to it and called Dongcheondaejeonjeong (). And then, it was changed to Dongil-dong, the name of which meant, the first town outside the east gate, in 1946.
  • History Exploration
    • History of Jung-gu Adminstration
    • Historic Figures in Jung-gu
    • The Origin of Regions Name
  • Cultural Event
  • Festival
    • Daegu Yangnyeongsi Festival
    • Donseongno Festival
    • Bongsan Art Festival
    • Overseas Chinese Festival
    • Seomun Market Festival
    • Fashion Jewelry Festival
    • Bongsan Porcelain Fair