JUNG-GU, DAEGU METROPOLITAN CITY

History Exploration

The Origin of Regions Name

Bongsan-dong
During the Chosun Dynasty, it was originally in Dongsang-myeon (߾) Daegu-bu and after being amalgamated with some parts of Namseongri (), was called Bongsanjeong (ߣ) in accordance with the implementation of the new administrative district system under Japanese colonial rule in 1914. Subsequently, it was renamed as Bongsan-dong after the change from Japanese naming practices to Korean ones in 1947. Bongsan mountain refers to the mountain with a rock shaped like a snapping turtle, near which Jeil Female Middle School is located. The name of the town (what is the name of the town?) came from this mountain. This mountain was also called Oposan mountain (ߣ) because the Opo-signalling noon (Opo means midday cannon) was fired everyday from this mountain from the time of King Sukjong of the Chosun Dynasty. Also it is said, that since there was a Seonangdang (village altar) on the half way up the slope of the mountain, a town to the east of Bongsan mountain was called Jangseungbaegi.

Bongsan has other names too; such as Yeonggusan (ߣ), Ungusan (ߣ), Jaraebangusan (snapping turtle rock mountain), Oposan (ߣ). Oposan has a legend about a couple who were able to have a son after dreaming of a fabulous bird after offering a devout prayer to the snapping turtle rock 200 years ago.
Buknae-dong
One of the areas belonging to Seosang-myeon Daegu-bu was located inside the northern gate of Daegubuseong fortress, so it was named over time; Bukmunan, Bukmunnae, Bukmunnaeri and Buknaeri (Buk meaning north). In 1914 it was named Buknaejeong (Ү). In 1946 Jeong () was replaced with Dong ().
Bukseongro
Before the August 15th liberation, Bukseongro road () was composed of Jeonjeongchonsangjeong, Weonjeong 1 Jeongmok, Geumjeong 1 Jeongmok, Dongseongjeom 1 Jeongmok of Daegu-bu, but was changed to Hwajeong-dong, Hyangchon-dong, Bukseongro 1ga and Dongseongro 1ga following the implementation of the new Dong system on April 1st of 1947.

Having the Supreme Provincial Government Office during the Chosun Dynasty, Bukseongro road was the center of Daegu as well as an important hub in transportation connecting principal roads such as Jungangro road, Dongseoro road to the north and Taepyeongro road and Seosinro road.

This area connecting with Bukseongro and adjacent to Pojeong-dong and Hyangcheon-dong was the heart of old Daegu. During the Japanese colonial period, Bukseongro was a well-known street having a five storied department store called Minaggai (߲) as well as a popular visiting place for people from outside the area because many tailors shops owned by Turks or Jews were placing along the either side of the road.

Before liberation, five shops selling machinery used for rice-polishing mills opened for the first time on Bukseongro 1ga. Clothing retailers along the road were gradually replaced by shops selling tools and machinery, after the liberation. The outbreak of the Korean War also accelerated the evolution of this road to a mechanical tool-trading district. It now has completed its transformation to a commercial center specializing in mechanical equipment and tools.

Areas around this road also contain such cultural items as Seonhwadang (Local Designated Tangible Cultural Property No. 1), Jingcheonggak (Local Designated Tangible Cultural Property No. ), Chilseongbawi rock, Hoihwanamu tree (a kind of locust tree), Mogawnamu tree (Papaya tree), Jeoldosa Iha Gaehama Bi ( ة - A stone monument stating that Everyone whose rank is lower than Jeoldosa must dismount from their horse from this point) and many other points of interest.
During the Silla period, there were quite a few fortresses, which had gates to the north (Bukmun), east (Dongmun) and west (Seomun). The areas around the gates have become the name of the places such as Bukseongro, Dongseongro and Seomunro, respectively.

Hyangchon-dong has become a renowned place for drinking from the time of the Korean War, in which writers and artists who took shelter from the war got together and tried to drown their sorrows in drinking alcohol. To this day there are many traces of more prosperous times. This is a place where once regular customers, who are old men now, visit once in a while to relive their memories.
  • History Exploration
    • History of Jung-gu Adminstration
    • Historic Figures in Jung-gu
    • The Origin of Regions Name
  • Cultural Event
  • Festival
    • Daegu Yangnyeongsi Festival
    • Donseongno Festival
    • Bongsan Art Festival
    • Overseas Chinese Festival
    • Seomun Market Festival
    • Fashion Jewelry Festival
    • Bongsan Porcelain Fair