JUNG-GU, DAEGU METROPOLITAN CITY

History Exploration

The Origin of Regions Name

Sail-dong
This area belonged to Dongsangseo-myeon Daegu-bu was called Sagwananma or Saildong because there was an archery field (). It was called Gungjeong () in 1914, then changed to Sail-dong in 1946.
Samdeok-dong
Samlipjeong (߲آ) was its name during the Japanese occupation period. And then, it was changed to Samdeok-dong the name of which means the three deok(, virtue)s Cheondeok (, sky), Jideok (, earth) and Indeok (, people). Until it was renamed Samlipjeong with consolidation of some portions of Namseongri and Sin-dong according to the new district administrative system implemented in 1914, the area was in Dongsang-myeon Daegu-bu. A little part of deoksan-dong was added to the area and was named Samdeok-dong in 1946.
Sangdeok-dong
It belonged to Dongsang-myeon Daegu-bu and became Bukukjeong () after the addition of some parts of Yongdeok-ri in 1914. It was changed to Sangdeok-dong named after Sangdeoksa temple in 1946.
Sangseo-dong
There was the Seosang-myeon office in this area. It was named Sangseojeong (߾) after consolidating some parts of Soaehwan-dong and Seonae-dong in accordance with the new administrative district system (1914). And then, Jeong () was changed to Dong () in 1946.
Seonae-dong
It belonged to Seosang-myeon Daegu-bu. Due to its location, being inside the western gate of Daegubuseong fortress, it was call Seomunan, Seomunae-ri or Seonae-ri. In 1946, Jeong () was changed to Dong ().
seoseong-dong
Seoseong-dong () had been called Daegu-bu Hoingjeong, Gyeonjeong, Seoseongjeong 12 Jeongmok until Jeong was replaced with Dong on April 1st of 1947.
After the war, people reused the disposed empty cans having contained C rations, which were pre-cooked field rations of the US army, to make various tools and many of lifes necessities. Because of the lack of galvanized iron, there were many distinctive board-framed houses the roofs which were made of flattened C ration cans in the Seoseong-dong area, so that it was known as Ggangtong golmok (alley of empty cans).

The name of Seoseong-dong () originated from the fact that the area was inside the western part of Daegueupseong fortress; Seo and Seong mean west and fortress, respectively.
Seoya-dong
It belonged to Seosang-myeon Daegu-bu. Being combined with some parts of Dalseong-dong and Hu-dong, it was called Hwangjeong () in 1914. In 1946, the area was between Seoseong-ro 2ga and Suchang, so that it was renamed Seoya-dong 1946.
Su-dong
It belonged to Seosang-myeon Daegu-bu. Along with some parts of Soaehwan-dong, Seonae-dong and Namhadong this area was named Sujeong () in 1914. Jeong () was changed to Dong () in 1946.
Suchang-dong
It belonged to Seosang-myeon Daegu-bu. After combining with some parts of Hu-dong and Dalseong-dong, it was named Palunjeong () in 1914. And then, the name was changed to Suchang-dong named after Suchang Elementary School in 1946.
  • History Exploration
    • History of Jung-gu Adminstration
    • Historic Figures in Jung-gu
    • The Origin of Regions Name
  • Cultural Event
  • Festival
    • Daegu Yangnyeongsi Festival
    • Donseongno Festival
    • Bongsan Art Festival
    • Overseas Chinese Festival
    • Seomun Market Festival
    • Fashion Jewelry Festival
    • Bongsan Porcelain Fair